Firefighters stress importance of smoke alarms after 90-year-old has narrow escape

Sutton Guardian: Firefighters have warned people not to take the batteries out of their smoke alarms and to test them regularly Firefighters have warned people not to take the batteries out of their smoke alarms and to test them regularly

A 90-year-old woman had to be rescued from her flat after leaving a plastic tray on top of her cooker.

The tray smouldered and filled the flat in Hendfield Court in Beddington Gardens from floor to ceiling with smoke but the woman had taken the battery out of her smoke alarm meaning she was unaware until a chance visit from her carer.

Firefighters, who were called to the flat shortly after 7.30pm on Tuesday, said the outcome could have been much worse had the woman's carer not come around when she did and opened the door to see smoke billowing out.

A spokesman said: "She had a smoke detector but for whatever reason she removed the battery. We just want to stress the importance of having a working smoke alarm and of testing the battery.

"God knows what would have happened if the carer hadn't come round."

Following the incident, firefighters will be fitting smoke detectors at other flats in Hendfield Court next week.

To get your fire alarm tested or to have one fitted for free, you can call London Fire Brigade on 0208 555 1200.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:18am Sun 9 Feb 14

Michael Pantlin says...

Surely fire escapes should not be narrow?
Surely fire escapes should not be narrow? Michael Pantlin
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree