Carshalton and Wallington MP Tom Brake caught dribbling as he tries his hand at basketball
An MP shot some hoops as he tried his hand at basketball and found out about the value the sport can add to communities.
The encounter happened as part of a cross-party event to celebrate recent successes of the national teams.
Mr Brake said: "From what I heard today it’s clear that there’s a huge amount of untapped potential in the UK and I know that in Sutton there is a growing appetite for basketball.
"Sport is a great way to reach out to and boost the aspirations of young people from all kinds of backgrounds."
Sutton is home to two basketball teams - the Carshalton Comets and Sutton Storm and Rockets Basketball Club. Both clubs are open to players of all abilities.
Luke Bowler of Carshalton Comets added: "We have witnessed children labelled as problem kids excel in their studies, gain a passion for life and live a generally more harmonious life."
- High street scheme recycles 40 tonnes of waste that would have been dumped in landfill
- Serial burglar finally snared after six year police hunt including BBC Crimewatch appearance
- Headteacher heckled at controversial sports dome meeting
- LIVE: Thousands of teenagers wake up to their GCSE results
- Hackbridge songwriter Tony Power releases album with his pop heroes from the past fifty years
Comments are closed on this article.