Carshalton woman taken to hospital after smoke gets in air vent
A woman suffered smoke inhalation when a discarded cigarette set fire to leaves and smoke poured into an air vent at her home.
The 65-year-old had to be taken to hospital after the incident at 10pm on Tuesday night (October 30).
Firefighters believe the cigarette was flicked by a passerby or somebody drinking at the Lord Palmerston pub next door to the woman's house.
Rob Cummins, crew manager said the incident would have been avoided if the woman had smoke alarms.
He said: "It took a little time to find the cigarette but one eagle eyed fireman spotted it. There was quite a lot of smoke in the house caused by the smouldering leaves getting into the air vent for the house. If she had smoke alarms they would have detected this. We installed two for her to stop this happening again."
To get a free fire alarm installed call 0800 0284 428.