Report this comment
  • "this has also been reported in the sun newspaper. all spiders are venomous even the house spider. I suspect that the lady had some sort of allergic reaction to the bite and therefore reacted in such a way. I would however like to know if it was definatly a house spider and not one that has got in to the country via fruit and veg or imported goods."
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Spider bite almost kills Hackbridge woman Natalie Hemme

Spider bite nearly kills Hackbridge woman

Spider bite nearly kills Hackbridge woman

First published in News Sutton Guardian: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Reporter

A Hackbridge woman who was bitten by a spider as she slept feared she could have lost her arm or even died after contracting a rare illness from the bite.

Natalie Hemme, 31, developed a syndrome which caused the skin and flesh in her right forearm to swell and die after being bitten by the arachnid in her Corbet Close home in February.

Doctors thought the arm would have to be amputated but saved it after five operations leaving her with severe scarring but full use of the limb.

Ms Hemme told The Sun newspaper: "You'd expect it in Australia, but not in Surrey!

"I was in such pain when they told me I needed my arm amputated that I didn't even care. It was agony and I know I have been very lucky to survive and keep my arm."

Ms Hemme woke one morning in February with a small red bite on her left wrist. When it started to swell and throb she was given antibiotics and paracetamol.

But two days later her husband Michael was forced to call an ambulance after she became violently ill with compartment syndrome. The muscles and nerves in her arm had turned septic, she was vomiting green pus and struggling to stand.

She told The Sun: "It looked like a balloon. I honestly thought I was going to die."

Surgeons were able to strip the infected flesh from the arm and she was in hospital for three weeks. She has now returned to work following physiotherapy.

She says she never used to be scared of spiders but is now and always checks the bed for bugs before she goes to sleep.

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree