Report this comment
  • "Totally agree kazza76. If it were not an allergic reaction i would tend to think it was a particularly venemous spider given the injuries to this poor woman. My point however is the cheap and lazy reporting which gives no thought to any of our concerns."
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Spider bite almost kills Hackbridge woman Natalie Hemme

Sutton Guardian: Spider bite nearly kills Hackbridge woman Spider bite nearly kills Hackbridge woman

A Hackbridge woman who was bitten by a spider as she slept feared she could have lost her arm or even died after contracting a rare illness from the bite.

Natalie Hemme, 31, developed a syndrome which caused the skin and flesh in her right forearm to swell and die after being bitten by the arachnid in her Corbet Close home in February.

Doctors thought the arm would have to be amputated but saved it after five operations leaving her with severe scarring but full use of the limb.

Ms Hemme told The Sun newspaper: "You'd expect it in Australia, but not in Surrey!

"I was in such pain when they told me I needed my arm amputated that I didn't even care. It was agony and I know I have been very lucky to survive and keep my arm."

Ms Hemme woke one morning in February with a small red bite on her left wrist. When it started to swell and throb she was given antibiotics and paracetamol.

But two days later her husband Michael was forced to call an ambulance after she became violently ill with compartment syndrome. The muscles and nerves in her arm had turned septic, she was vomiting green pus and struggling to stand.

She told The Sun: "It looked like a balloon. I honestly thought I was going to die."

Surgeons were able to strip the infected flesh from the arm and she was in hospital for three weeks. She has now returned to work following physiotherapy.

She says she never used to be scared of spiders but is now and always checks the bed for bugs before she goes to sleep.

Local Businesses

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree