Kitchen destroyed by fire after saucepan left on hob in Mulgrave Road, Sutton
A fire broke out in a Sutton flat after a couple left a saucepan on a hob when they went out.
The resulting blaze destroyed the kitchen of the Mulgrave Road flat and caused the rest of the second floor to be evacuated because of severe smoke-logging at 1.30pm on Thursday.
Crews from Sutton and Wallington fire stations were called to the fire and used breathing apparatus to get close to the fire before putting it out with a hose.
A spokesman for Sutton fire station said the blaze was caused by a pan that had been left on the hob when the couple went out.
The spokesman said the flat did not have a working smoke alarm, meaning the alert was not raised until the fire became so severe smoke was pouring from the flat's window.
- Family butcher shop celebrates 80 years in Carshalton Beeches
- PICTURES: Japanese group join forces with Sutton’s Filipinos to fundraise for Typhoon Haiyan victims
- No messing with these politicians in North Cheam
- Prison staff criticised for failing to carry out mental health checks on schizophrenic murder suspect
- Pictures reveal injuries 12-year-old boy sustained in school playground attack
Comments are closed on this article.