'Lucky man' escapes fire in Denmark Road, Carshalton

A homeowner had a 'lucky' escape from a kitchen fire in Denmark Road, Carshalton

A homeowner had a 'lucky' escape from a kitchen fire in Denmark Road, Carshalton

First published in News
Last updated
Sutton Guardian: Photograph of the Author by , Chief reporter

A 35-year-old man had a 'lucky' escape when his kitchen caught fire last night.

The man had started cooking after coming home from the pub at about 9.45pm yesterday but the food started burning after he fell asleep.

His neighbour was alerted to the sound of a smoke alarm in Denmark Road, Carshalton, and then woke the sleeping man.

The homeowner put the fire out before firefighters arrived.

Crew manager David Coleman, from Wallington fire station, said: "The gentleman came home from the pub and fell asleep.

"The fire had caused a bit of damage.

"Putting food on when people come home from drinking can be dangerous.

"He's a lucky man."

An ambulance was called because the homeowner had breathed in a lot of smoke and he was taken to hospital as a precaution.

 

TODAY'S TOP SUTTON STORIES

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree