The aunt of a four-year-old girl whose tragic death was “wholly avoidable” has spoken of the family’s trauma during the three-day inquest.

Hackbridge Primary School pupil Freya Wells died of septic shock at Kingston Hospital after “flagrant and extreme” failings, West London Coroner’s Court heard.

Little Freya had a 95 per cent chance of survival when she was admitted to the hospital in November 2012 but died a few hours later after Dr Rosita Ibrahim used the wrong medication method, the court heard.

Assistant coroner Dr Sean Cummings said he would be writing to the General Medical Council recommending Dr Ibrahim be suspended pending a formal investigation into her actions. Meanwhile Freya’s family are considering legal action.

Freya’s mother Carly, 29, a nursery practitioner from Wallington has been described as devastated following the loss of her only child.

Sutton Guardian:

Lindsay and Carly Wells outside court on Monday

Her sister, Lindsay Wells, 33, said her two children were exceptionally close to Freya and they were all trying to deal with the trauma of the last few days.

She said: “It has been obviously a very traumatic three days. We are just looking now to get a bit of peace and just adjust. We really haven’t had time to digest what’s been said and deal with what’s been said the last few days.

“Freya’s nursery school held a tree planting ceremony which has lovely hedgehog plaque. Local school mums and nursery teachers came along with my family. They went along and spoke about Freya – it was really lovely.

“She started Hackbridge Primary School in September – she was there for just a couple of months before we lost her.

“The school put up a big tree at the front of the school, which they’ve never done before, and they got all her friends to write their names on ribbon with a star on it.

“It was really sweet. All the school teachers came to her funeral too. She was very popular.

“She had two cousins who were as close as siblings. My eldest daughter is only a year older than Freya. We used to FaceTime each other at bedtime so the girls could chat to each other.

“Carly is just trying to get over the trauma of the last few days and trying to get some peace. She’s obviously devastated – this is her child.

“I think that the coroner was fair. I think that really, within his powers, there was no more he could do. I think he understood us and is going to refer Dr Ibrahim to the General Medical Council – I’m satisfied with that.

“Obviously I don’t feel that that is comparable to us losing Freya – nothing will be.”

When asked if they were planning to take legal action against Kingston Hospital Miss Wells said: “It is literally a day after the conclusion. We have had a horrendous three days. It’s something we may discuss but right now we are just trying to digest what we have heard and get some peace.”

A fundraising page has been set up in Freya’s memory in aid of Tommy’s baby charity. If you would like to donate visit: