A charity volunteer has submitted a petition to the council opposing its decision to remove its funding.
Barbara Shipton has been volunteering for Sutton’s Home-Start for a year and feels the council’s decision to terminate their contract will limit the charity’s ability to support families with problems.
The petition has already gained 559 signatures asking the council to reinstate the funding for Home-Start Sutton which focuses on early intervention and has 80 volunteers visit families in their home every week offering emotional and practical support.
Two members of staff were made redundant last year while the remaining members had their hours reduced.
A Sutton Council spokesperson said: “I can confirm that we have received a petition regarding Home-Start Sutton, which we will respond to in due course.”
- UPDATE: 'Significant and substantial' sentence for paedophile doctor who spied on more than 1000 hospital patients and staff as they used the toilet
- Christmas crime prevention initiative launched in Sutton
- Family of Robbie Hughes complain to Met Police after officers start business with thug who attacked him
- Cheam songstress set to perform alongside Christina Perri
- Manhole fire outside St Helier Hospital forces road closures