A charity volunteer has submitted a petition to the council opposing its decision to remove its funding.
Barbara Shipton has been volunteering for Sutton’s Home-Start for a year and feels the council’s decision to terminate their contract will limit the charity’s ability to support families with problems.
The petition has already gained 559 signatures asking the council to reinstate the funding for Home-Start Sutton which focuses on early intervention and has 80 volunteers visit families in their home every week offering emotional and practical support.
Two members of staff were made redundant last year while the remaining members had their hours reduced.
A Sutton Council spokesperson said: “I can confirm that we have received a petition regarding Home-Start Sutton, which we will respond to in due course.”
- Man's shock as drone crash-lands in his garden
- Debenhams in Sutton High Street closed for filming of 2014 Christmas advert
- Man rescues woman being sexually assaulted in shop doorway
- Train faults lead to disruption to rush hour commuters on First Capital Connect services
- Top detective given rare award for bringing violent professional criminal to justice