A charity volunteer has submitted a petition to the council opposing its decision to remove its funding.
Barbara Shipton has been volunteering for Sutton’s Home-Start for a year and feels the council’s decision to terminate their contract will limit the charity’s ability to support families with problems.
The petition has already gained 559 signatures asking the council to reinstate the funding for Home-Start Sutton which focuses on early intervention and has 80 volunteers visit families in their home every week offering emotional and practical support.
Two members of staff were made redundant last year while the remaining members had their hours reduced.
A Sutton Council spokesperson said: “I can confirm that we have received a petition regarding Home-Start Sutton, which we will respond to in due course.”
- Pie on their faces! Sutton United forced to play defender in goal after Wayne Shaw sacking
- Thousands of children at schools across south London breathing dangerous toxic air
- Transport Secretary Chris Grayling warns Londoners to think twice about buying diesel cars
- Sutton children’s services rated ‘good’
- Whose land is it anyway? Anger over 'filthy' fly tipping in conservation area that no one takes responsibility for