A five foot-wide sinkhole has opened up in the middle of a Wallington street.
The hole, which is around three feet deep, opened up and swallowed the wheel of a car in Maldon Road at 9am today.
Police have closed the road between Manor Road and Harcourt Road.
A statement from the police said: "The hole is in the road and is about 5ft wide and 3ft deep. A car had one of its wheels in the hole and the vehicle has now been recovered.
"It is believed the car was being driven at the time the hole opened up. There are no injuries reported. Sutton Council is aware."
Sinkholes have been reported around the country following the recent heavy rains.
The British Geological Survey said the country can expect more holes as the water table recedes following the bad weather.
Do you know more? Call 020 8722 6355 or email email@example.com.
- Archeological dig for new primary school cancelled by traveller incursion
- Councils join forces to push for devolved powers to 'create 500,000 new jobs and 20,000 extra homes'
- 'Traingate' - Hospital chief exec says "I don't think we misled anyone" over leak of super-site plans
- "Priceless" heirlooms stolen by smash and grab burglars in Beddington
- Road rage: have you been caught out by these temporary traffic lights getting stuck on red?