Sinkhole swallows car's wheel in Maldon Road, Wallington
A five foot-wide sinkhole has opened up in the middle of a Wallington street.
The hole, which is around three feet deep, opened up and swallowed the wheel of a car in Maldon Road at 9am today.
Police have closed the road between Manor Road and Harcourt Road.
A statement from the police said: "The hole is in the road and is about 5ft wide and 3ft deep. A car had one of its wheels in the hole and the vehicle has now been recovered.
"It is believed the car was being driven at the time the hole opened up. There are no injuries reported. Sutton Council is aware."
Sinkholes have been reported around the country following the recent heavy rains.
The British Geological Survey said the country can expect more holes as the water table recedes following the bad weather.
Do you know more? Call 020 8722 6355 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Teen girls end up in court after waging Facebook hate campaign against teachers
- Worcester Park councillor convicted for racially aggravated assault in train station pub
- Have you lost 28 toothbrushes?
- Tragic history of house where woman suffered severe burns in possible attempted murder emerges
- Thief arrested after police spot him carrying a child's bike through Carshalton at 4am