An MP has taken his fight to save the St Nicholas Centre post office to Parliament.
Elderly and disabled residents are concerned about the long uphill walk to the next-closest post office, in Grove Road, if the St Nicholas Centre branch is closed.
High Street business owners, who rely on St Nicholas Centre’s location, are also worried they will lose easy access to postal services.
Paul Burstow MP voiced his constituents’ concerns on the floor and said: “The Post Office is putting its own concerns ahead of the needs of the community, and causing the maximum amount of inconvenience for the maximum number of people.
“The St Nicholas Centre post office is vital to the Sutton community. Its closure would harm local businesses that depend on its services, and disrupt the lives of residents on a broad scale.”
MP Matthew Hancock, minister of state for skills and enterprise assured Mr Burstow no final decisions had been made and the Post Office was open to discussions on the matter.
- Dust off your past and enjoy a visit from TV's Eric Knowles
- Dig around in the Wandle: Treasure hunt events coming up
- High Court judge refuses Beddington incinerator campaigner permission to appeal
- Man charged with raping 15-year-old girl in Grove Park Carshalton and two other offences
- Restorative justice champions Vi and Ray Donovan: "It must always be about the victims"