The pedestrian who was seriously injured in a collision in Carshalton on Saturday has been identified and his family informed.
The man, who is an 80-year-old from Carshalton, was knocked down by a black Mercedes in Acre Lane just after 4pm on Saturday.
Initially police did not know who the injured man was and appealed for information about his identity. He has since been identified and his family have been made aware of his condition.
The driver of the black Mercedes 200 CLK stopped at the scene but has not been arrested.
The air ambulance was called but the man was taken by road to a south London hospital where he remains in a critical condition.
Police are investigating the incident and anyone who saw anything can call police on 101 quoting reference CAD6256/1.
- 'Croydon cat killer' may have claimed 10 more victims in just 10 days
- Shocking figures show how long you'd have to live to afford buying your first south London home
- VIDEO: No laughing matter as two men try to steal gas canisters from St Helier Hospital
- Armed police to travel on the Tube for first time since 7/7
- Fewer mentally ill people being locked up in London police cells, figures show