The pedestrian who was seriously injured in a collision in Carshalton on Saturday has been identified and his family informed.
The man, who is an 80-year-old from Carshalton, was knocked down by a black Mercedes in Acre Lane just after 4pm on Saturday.
Initially police did not know who the injured man was and appealed for information about his identity. He has since been identified and his family have been made aware of his condition.
The driver of the black Mercedes 200 CLK stopped at the scene but has not been arrested.
The air ambulance was called but the man was taken by road to a south London hospital where he remains in a critical condition.
Police are investigating the incident and anyone who saw anything can call police on 101 quoting reference CAD6256/1.
- What to do with your old £1 coins and by when - with new pound coin coming this month
- National Offer Day: Thousands of children across UK set to miss out on first choice of secondary school place
- Tunisia terror attack: Six hotel security guards charged with failing to help tourists during gunman's rampage
- Send your World Book Day photos - and see which characters are set to be most popular
- London Underground: Man killed after being hit by Tube and signal failures causing severe delays on Northern, Piccadilly and District lines