Thieves could be caught by the long arm of the lawn after stealing a 15m strip of artificial grass from a sports centre.
The Astro Turf had been delivered to Sutton Tennis Club as part of the refurbishment of the Rose Hill venue.
The thieves used wire cutters to get through the perimeter fence before taking a 15m strip from a 40m length of artificial grass between 10.30pm on Tuesday and 11am on Wednesday.
The turf is worth around £1,000 but has no distinctive markings.
If you have been offered any discounted Astro Turf or know of its whereabouts, you can call police on 101 or the charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
- Flash floods 'will happen more often,' Sutton Council warned
- 'I made tea for Alf Ramsey': 50 years since England won the World Cup, we take a look at ordinary Londoners who played their part
- Man, 46, pleads guilty to forcing way into pensioner's home and raping her in 'horrific' attack
- Ben Butler appeals conviction for murdering six-year-old daughter Ellie
- Fire consumes pavilion at old BBC sports ground in Motspur Park