Thieves could be caught by the long arm of the lawn after stealing a 15m strip of artificial grass from a sports centre.
The Astro Turf had been delivered to Sutton Tennis Club as part of the refurbishment of the Rose Hill venue.
The thieves used wire cutters to get through the perimeter fence before taking a 15m strip from a 40m length of artificial grass between 10.30pm on Tuesday and 11am on Wednesday.
The turf is worth around £1,000 but has no distinctive markings.
If you have been offered any discounted Astro Turf or know of its whereabouts, you can call police on 101 or the charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
- Fewer mentally ill people being locked up in London police cells, figures show
- Christmas joy: Tube and rail workers could walk out at same time in combined strike
- 'Catastrophic': Reaction as Heathrow Airport expansion gets go-ahead with government choosing third runway
- Dad who barricaded himself in Carshalton home with gas canisters 'wasn't going to blow house up'
- Man rushed to hospital after motorbike and car collide in Worcester Park