Sutton should have been given cycling money by London Mayor Boris Johnson, says Green politician Darren Johnson

Sutton Guardian: Sutton was not given as much money as Kingston nor Merton for cycling improvements Sutton was not given as much money as Kingston nor Merton for cycling improvements

Boris Johnson has been criticised for not doing more to promote cycling in Sutton.

Green Party London Assembly member Darren Johnson said London Mayor Mr Johnson should have considered outer London boroughs like Sutton when handing out millions of pounds to create so-called 'mini-Hollands' by making bike-friendly routes.

Transport for London is to hand £30m each to Enfield, Kingston and Waltham Forest and £10million between Bexley, Ealing, Merton and Richmond, but Mr Johnson said this decision leaves most outer London boroughs without.

He said: "This is exciting news for around a sixth of the outer London boroughs, but will leave cyclists and those wanting to cycle disappointed in the unlucky boroughs."

"The Mayor should be harnessing the huge enthusiasm that exists for cycling in outer London and working with all local authorities to ensure they are able to formulate exciting, inclusive proposals to get Londoners on their bikes."

"These mini-Hollands should be a test bed for ideas to make cycling safe and enjoyable, but there is no money and no plan to roll this idea out throughout Outer London.

"The Mayor needs to increase the cycling budget in Transport for London’s ten year plan, so that everyone can participate in safe cycling as soon as possible."


TODAY'S TOP STORIES

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

 

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:20pm Fri 14 Mar 14

Giles C says...

If Sutton had put together a decent bid they may have been in with a chance but this useless administration failed once again to do so.
If Sutton had put together a decent bid they may have been in with a chance but this useless administration failed once again to do so. Giles C
  • Score: 1

4:32pm Fri 14 Mar 14

Mr Flange of Wallington says...

Perhaps a new application can be submitted after the May elections?
Perhaps a new application can be submitted after the May elections? Mr Flange of Wallington
  • Score: 2

5:15pm Fri 14 Mar 14

PeterM says...

Sutton has very good intentions when it comes to cycling, but sadly they are often very poorly implemented.

Boundary Road bridge and Bridge Road/Clarendon Road are just two examples where the infrastructure places cyclists in danger, rather than offering them protection. The new Beddington Park cycle route extension is so rough, my fillings fell out!!! Not everyone rides a bike with suspension.

At least Sutton has a better attitude to cycling than Croydon.
Sutton has very good intentions when it comes to cycling, but sadly they are often very poorly implemented. Boundary Road bridge and Bridge Road/Clarendon Road are just two examples where the infrastructure places cyclists in danger, rather than offering them protection. The new Beddington Park cycle route extension is so rough, my fillings fell out!!! Not everyone rides a bike with suspension. At least Sutton has a better attitude to cycling than Croydon. PeterM
  • Score: 7

4:59pm Sat 15 Mar 14

LiberalsOut says...

Well done Boris
Enough cycle lanes already in Sutton
About time they paid road tax and were made to have insurance
Well done Boris Enough cycle lanes already in Sutton About time they paid road tax and were made to have insurance LiberalsOut
  • Score: -2

5:46pm Sat 15 Mar 14

PeterM says...

LiberalsOut wrote:
Well done Boris
Enough cycle lanes already in Sutton
About time they paid road tax and were made to have insurance
There is no such thing as Road Tax. This was abolished in 1937 by Winston Churchill. What we have now is Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) which is based upon vehicle emissions. Cars such as the Toyota Prius, some Fiat 500s, Audi A3s, Peugeot 206s, Volvos, car first registered before 1973, Police cars, tractors etc etc etc all pay £ZERO VED. In fact there are in excess of 1,000,000 vehicles on the road today that are exempt from paying VED.

If cyclists had to have a tax disc, they would pay the same as these vehicles, i.e. NOTHING, because bicycles produce no emissions. However, it has been estimated that the admin costs of issuing 'tax discs' to cyclists would mean that everyone that pays VED would have to pay £10 extra per vehicle to cover this.

As for insurance, although it's not compulsory for cyclists to have it, 95% of cyclists do have third party insurance, because it comes free with home insurance. Standalone cycle insurance costs about £10 a year. It's so low because of the potential damage/injury that a bicycle can cause compared with two tonnes of metal.
[quote][p][bold]LiberalsOut[/bold] wrote: Well done Boris Enough cycle lanes already in Sutton About time they paid road tax and were made to have insurance[/p][/quote]There is no such thing as Road Tax. This was abolished in 1937 by Winston Churchill. What we have now is Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) which is based upon vehicle emissions. Cars such as the Toyota Prius, some Fiat 500s, Audi A3s, Peugeot 206s, Volvos, car first registered before 1973, Police cars, tractors etc etc etc all pay £ZERO VED. In fact there are in excess of 1,000,000 vehicles on the road today that are exempt from paying VED. If cyclists had to have a tax disc, they would pay the same as these vehicles, i.e. NOTHING, because bicycles produce no emissions. However, it has been estimated that the admin costs of issuing 'tax discs' to cyclists would mean that everyone that pays VED would have to pay £10 extra per vehicle to cover this. As for insurance, although it's not compulsory for cyclists to have it, 95% of cyclists do have third party insurance, because it comes free with home insurance. Standalone cycle insurance costs about £10 a year. It's so low because of the potential damage/injury that a bicycle can cause compared with two tonnes of metal. PeterM
  • Score: 3

8:57pm Sat 15 Mar 14

mspragmatic says...

PeterM wrote:
LiberalsOut wrote:
Well done Boris
Enough cycle lanes already in Sutton
About time they paid road tax and were made to have insurance
There is no such thing as Road Tax. This was abolished in 1937 by Winston Churchill. What we have now is Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) which is based upon vehicle emissions. Cars such as the Toyota Prius, some Fiat 500s, Audi A3s, Peugeot 206s, Volvos, car first registered before 1973, Police cars, tractors etc etc etc all pay £ZERO VED. In fact there are in excess of 1,000,000 vehicles on the road today that are exempt from paying VED.

If cyclists had to have a tax disc, they would pay the same as these vehicles, i.e. NOTHING, because bicycles produce no emissions. However, it has been estimated that the admin costs of issuing 'tax discs' to cyclists would mean that everyone that pays VED would have to pay £10 extra per vehicle to cover this.

As for insurance, although it's not compulsory for cyclists to have it, 95% of cyclists do have third party insurance, because it comes free with home insurance. Standalone cycle insurance costs about £10 a year. It's so low because of the potential damage/injury that a bicycle can cause compared with two tonnes of metal.
Intelligent reply. Good to see fact on these comments threads for once rather than bile/trolling.

Sutton does seem to be missing out from City Hall. Even if it just feels that way. More money and support for cycling and the tram to Sutton please.

Thanks.
Ms P.
[quote][p][bold]PeterM[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]LiberalsOut[/bold] wrote: Well done Boris Enough cycle lanes already in Sutton About time they paid road tax and were made to have insurance[/p][/quote]There is no such thing as Road Tax. This was abolished in 1937 by Winston Churchill. What we have now is Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) which is based upon vehicle emissions. Cars such as the Toyota Prius, some Fiat 500s, Audi A3s, Peugeot 206s, Volvos, car first registered before 1973, Police cars, tractors etc etc etc all pay £ZERO VED. In fact there are in excess of 1,000,000 vehicles on the road today that are exempt from paying VED. If cyclists had to have a tax disc, they would pay the same as these vehicles, i.e. NOTHING, because bicycles produce no emissions. However, it has been estimated that the admin costs of issuing 'tax discs' to cyclists would mean that everyone that pays VED would have to pay £10 extra per vehicle to cover this. As for insurance, although it's not compulsory for cyclists to have it, 95% of cyclists do have third party insurance, because it comes free with home insurance. Standalone cycle insurance costs about £10 a year. It's so low because of the potential damage/injury that a bicycle can cause compared with two tonnes of metal.[/p][/quote]Intelligent reply. Good to see fact on these comments threads for once rather than bile/trolling. Sutton does seem to be missing out from City Hall. Even if it just feels that way. More money and support for cycling and the tram to Sutton please. Thanks. Ms P. mspragmatic
  • Score: 1

1:51pm Sun 16 Mar 14

LiberalsOut says...

mspragmatic wrote:
PeterM wrote:
LiberalsOut wrote:
Well done Boris
Enough cycle lanes already in Sutton
About time they paid road tax and were made to have insurance
There is no such thing as Road Tax. This was abolished in 1937 by Winston Churchill. What we have now is Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) which is based upon vehicle emissions. Cars such as the Toyota Prius, some Fiat 500s, Audi A3s, Peugeot 206s, Volvos, car first registered before 1973, Police cars, tractors etc etc etc all pay £ZERO VED. In fact there are in excess of 1,000,000 vehicles on the road today that are exempt from paying VED.

If cyclists had to have a tax disc, they would pay the same as these vehicles, i.e. NOTHING, because bicycles produce no emissions. However, it has been estimated that the admin costs of issuing 'tax discs' to cyclists would mean that everyone that pays VED would have to pay £10 extra per vehicle to cover this.

As for insurance, although it's not compulsory for cyclists to have it, 95% of cyclists do have third party insurance, because it comes free with home insurance. Standalone cycle insurance costs about £10 a year. It's so low because of the potential damage/injury that a bicycle can cause compared with two tonnes of metal.
Intelligent reply. Good to see fact on these comments threads for once rather than bile/trolling.

Sutton does seem to be missing out from City Hall. Even if it just feels that way. More money and support for cycling and the tram to Sutton please.

Thanks.
Ms P.
Vote out the Lib Dems and watch the City Hall money come in
I am sorry you are both upset, but everyone is entitled to an opinion, and if mine is not the same as yours, that does not mean it is invalid.
People will know what is meant by road tax trather than VED, and it goes ito general taxation anyway and is not ear marked for roads
Even so ALL road users should be paying for using the road
[quote][p][bold]mspragmatic[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]PeterM[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]LiberalsOut[/bold] wrote: Well done Boris Enough cycle lanes already in Sutton About time they paid road tax and were made to have insurance[/p][/quote]There is no such thing as Road Tax. This was abolished in 1937 by Winston Churchill. What we have now is Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) which is based upon vehicle emissions. Cars such as the Toyota Prius, some Fiat 500s, Audi A3s, Peugeot 206s, Volvos, car first registered before 1973, Police cars, tractors etc etc etc all pay £ZERO VED. In fact there are in excess of 1,000,000 vehicles on the road today that are exempt from paying VED. If cyclists had to have a tax disc, they would pay the same as these vehicles, i.e. NOTHING, because bicycles produce no emissions. However, it has been estimated that the admin costs of issuing 'tax discs' to cyclists would mean that everyone that pays VED would have to pay £10 extra per vehicle to cover this. As for insurance, although it's not compulsory for cyclists to have it, 95% of cyclists do have third party insurance, because it comes free with home insurance. Standalone cycle insurance costs about £10 a year. It's so low because of the potential damage/injury that a bicycle can cause compared with two tonnes of metal.[/p][/quote]Intelligent reply. Good to see fact on these comments threads for once rather than bile/trolling. Sutton does seem to be missing out from City Hall. Even if it just feels that way. More money and support for cycling and the tram to Sutton please. Thanks. Ms P.[/p][/quote]Vote out the Lib Dems and watch the City Hall money come in I am sorry you are both upset, but everyone is entitled to an opinion, and if mine is not the same as yours, that does not mean it is invalid. People will know what is meant by road tax trather than VED, and it goes ito general taxation anyway and is not ear marked for roads Even so ALL road users should be paying for using the road LiberalsOut
  • Score: -4

11:31am Mon 17 Mar 14

Michael Pantlin says...

Pedal bikers are very green, because they cycle on their outward journey and therefore recycle as they follow their path on the return journey.
Pedal bikers are very green, because they cycle on their outward journey and therefore recycle as they follow their path on the return journey. Michael Pantlin
  • Score: 3

1:02pm Mon 17 Mar 14

PeterM says...

LiberalsOut wrote:
mspragmatic wrote:
PeterM wrote:
LiberalsOut wrote:
Well done Boris
Enough cycle lanes already in Sutton
About time they paid road tax and were made to have insurance
There is no such thing as Road Tax. This was abolished in 1937 by Winston Churchill. What we have now is Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) which is based upon vehicle emissions. Cars such as the Toyota Prius, some Fiat 500s, Audi A3s, Peugeot 206s, Volvos, car first registered before 1973, Police cars, tractors etc etc etc all pay £ZERO VED. In fact there are in excess of 1,000,000 vehicles on the road today that are exempt from paying VED.

If cyclists had to have a tax disc, they would pay the same as these vehicles, i.e. NOTHING, because bicycles produce no emissions. However, it has been estimated that the admin costs of issuing 'tax discs' to cyclists would mean that everyone that pays VED would have to pay £10 extra per vehicle to cover this.

As for insurance, although it's not compulsory for cyclists to have it, 95% of cyclists do have third party insurance, because it comes free with home insurance. Standalone cycle insurance costs about £10 a year. It's so low because of the potential damage/injury that a bicycle can cause compared with two tonnes of metal.
Intelligent reply. Good to see fact on these comments threads for once rather than bile/trolling.

Sutton does seem to be missing out from City Hall. Even if it just feels that way. More money and support for cycling and the tram to Sutton please.

Thanks.
Ms P.
Vote out the Lib Dems and watch the City Hall money come in
I am sorry you are both upset, but everyone is entitled to an opinion, and if mine is not the same as yours, that does not mean it is invalid.
People will know what is meant by road tax trather than VED, and it goes ito general taxation anyway and is not ear marked for roads
Even so ALL road users should be paying for using the road
Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I'm not saying that your's is not valid, I was just correcting you on the terminology and misconception that people have with regard to Road Tax/VED, and also turning your point around.

If it was about time that cyclists paid 'road tax' then it's also about time that a million motorists also paid it.
[quote][p][bold]LiberalsOut[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mspragmatic[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]PeterM[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]LiberalsOut[/bold] wrote: Well done Boris Enough cycle lanes already in Sutton About time they paid road tax and were made to have insurance[/p][/quote]There is no such thing as Road Tax. This was abolished in 1937 by Winston Churchill. What we have now is Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) which is based upon vehicle emissions. Cars such as the Toyota Prius, some Fiat 500s, Audi A3s, Peugeot 206s, Volvos, car first registered before 1973, Police cars, tractors etc etc etc all pay £ZERO VED. In fact there are in excess of 1,000,000 vehicles on the road today that are exempt from paying VED. If cyclists had to have a tax disc, they would pay the same as these vehicles, i.e. NOTHING, because bicycles produce no emissions. However, it has been estimated that the admin costs of issuing 'tax discs' to cyclists would mean that everyone that pays VED would have to pay £10 extra per vehicle to cover this. As for insurance, although it's not compulsory for cyclists to have it, 95% of cyclists do have third party insurance, because it comes free with home insurance. Standalone cycle insurance costs about £10 a year. It's so low because of the potential damage/injury that a bicycle can cause compared with two tonnes of metal.[/p][/quote]Intelligent reply. Good to see fact on these comments threads for once rather than bile/trolling. Sutton does seem to be missing out from City Hall. Even if it just feels that way. More money and support for cycling and the tram to Sutton please. Thanks. Ms P.[/p][/quote]Vote out the Lib Dems and watch the City Hall money come in I am sorry you are both upset, but everyone is entitled to an opinion, and if mine is not the same as yours, that does not mean it is invalid. People will know what is meant by road tax trather than VED, and it goes ito general taxation anyway and is not ear marked for roads Even so ALL road users should be paying for using the road[/p][/quote]Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I'm not saying that your's is not valid, I was just correcting you on the terminology and misconception that people have with regard to Road Tax/VED, and also turning your point around. If it was about time that cyclists paid 'road tax' then it's also about time that a million motorists also paid it. PeterM
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree