A disgraced councillor guilty of a racial attack on a barman is refusing to break his silence amid increasing calls for his resignation.
He has voluntarily resigned the Liberal Democrat whip and is no longer a member of the Sutton Lib Dem party but he has not resigned as a councillor, meaning his is an independent member of Sutton Council.
The Sutton Guardian has made repeated attempts to interview Coun Fenwick, who is banned from several of the pubs in Sutton town centre, but so far all have failed.
Under current law, councillors can only be stripped of their position of they are given a prison sentence - but rival politicians have called for Coun Fenwick to voluntarily stand down.
Conservative candidate for Sutton South Jason Hughes said: "I read with shock of the conviction of Liberal Democrat councillor Stephen Fenwick for his drunken racist attack.
"However, my shock is not confined only to Councillor Fenwick’s conviction, but also to his refusal to resign."
Prospective Labour Party candidate for Sutton and Cheam Emily Brothers said: "I’m left with no option other than to call on Councillor Fenwick to resign immediately."
It is understood the national Lib Dem party is reviewing Coun Fenwicks membership.
- Man rushed to hospital after motorbike and car collide in Worcester Park
- High Street pub to hold fundraiser for regular punter's sister suffering with Multiple Sclerosis
- South Londoners making most of new hopper bus fare - especially these two routes
- Former Sutton councillor charged with theft of thousands of pounds
- Police's Halloween and Bonfire Night crime crackdown begins with warning to yobs