'She would have been the best': Tributes paid to Tayla Woodard as hundreds turn out for 20-year-old's funeral

Tayla Woodard died after collapsing in Worcester Park

Tayla Woodard died after collapsing in Worcester Park

First published in News
Last updated
Sutton Guardian: Photograph of the Author by , Deputy editor - Kingston

The funeral for 20-year-old aspiring journalist Tayla Woodard, who died after collapsing at her boyfriend’s house in Worcester Park, has been held in her home town.

An estimated 200 people packed into Egloshayle Parish Church in Wadebridge, Cornwall, on Saturday to say goodbye to the Bournemouth University student.

In accordance with the family’s wishes, many mourners eschewed traditional black clothing in favour for bright colours, as a celebration of Miss Woodard’s life.

David Bray, from funeral directors RJ Bray and Sons, said: “It was very well attended, and there were a number of tributes from family and friends.

“There were quite a few people in bright clothing, as well as others in more traditional black.

“She was very much loved.”

Sunday People showbiz editor Katie Hind was among the mourners, later tweeting a picture of the order of service with the message: “Today I said goodbye to @TaylaMaeW.

“She was a budding journalist I was proud to mentor. She would have been the best”.

TOWIE star Maria Fowler replied to the tweet, adding her sympathies.

She said: "that is very very sad. I met her with you before. My condolences".

Miss Woodard died on Sunday, March 9, hours after being taken ill at the home of her boyfriend Alex Rickett in Tamesis Gardens, Worcester Park.

She and Mr Rickett had been in Brixton on Saturday evening, according to her hometown newspaper the Cornish Guardian.

After returning, she collapsed at about 5am. She died in hospital at 6.22am that same day.

Mr Rickett, 21, was also taken to hospital as a precaution but was later discharged.

The cause of Miss Woodard’s death is still unexplained, although Metropolitan Police have confirmed it is being treated as non-suspicious.

Kingston Police are still investigating.

A police spokesman said: “Tayla's unexplained death continues to be investigated by Kingston CID.

“A post mortem has taken place and further tests are being conducted.

“At this stage a cause of death has not been established.

“An inquest has been opened and adjourned.”

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:41pm Mon 24 Mar 14

W67russ says...

They had not been to see "All Time Low"
They had been at a drum and bass event at a venue called " Plan B " in Brixton
They had not been to see "All Time Low" They had been at a drum and bass event at a venue called " Plan B " in Brixton W67russ
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree