Emergency services attended a car crash in Cheam Common Road this morning.
A blue Peugeot crashed into a wall at around 6.30am.
The fire brigade and police were called but the man was unhurt and had managed to get out of the car by the time they arrived.
A spokesman for Sutton fire station said: "There weren't any other cars involved. It looked like he just lost it somehow."
Traffic was held up while the car was moved from the road and the scene was made safe.
- Flash floods 'will happen more often,' Sutton Council warned
- 'I made tea for Alf Ramsey': 50 years since England won the World Cup, we take a look at ordinary Londoners who played their part
- Man, 46, pleads guilty to forcing way into pensioner's home and raping her in 'horrific' attack
- Ben Butler appeals conviction for murdering six-year-old daughter Ellie
- Fire consumes pavilion at old BBC sports ground in Motspur Park