Emergency services attended a car crash in Cheam Common Road this morning.
A blue Peugeot crashed into a wall at around 6.30am.
The fire brigade and police were called but the man was unhurt and had managed to get out of the car by the time they arrived.
A spokesman for Sutton fire station said: "There weren't any other cars involved. It looked like he just lost it somehow."
Traffic was held up while the car was moved from the road and the scene was made safe.
- What's On: 10 reasons to go out this week in south London
- Sharp increase in council fines for parents whose children missed school
- Pensioner died after St Helier Hospital staff inserted feeding tube into lung in 'gross failure'
- 'Inexcusable, reprehensible and shameful': Sutton Council condemns Lib Dem who defrauded charity with forged cheques
- Children 'too afraid to go outside' after 4x4 ploughs through fence and lands inches away from house