Emergency services attended a car crash in Cheam Common Road this morning.
A blue Peugeot crashed into a wall at around 6.30am.
The fire brigade and police were called but the man was unhurt and had managed to get out of the car by the time they arrived.
A spokesman for Sutton fire station said: "There weren't any other cars involved. It looked like he just lost it somehow."
Traffic was held up while the car was moved from the road and the scene was made safe.
- Young doctor dying from skin cancer raises more than £20,000 for charity from his hospital bed
- Video issued in hunt for "heartless" hit-and-run motorcyclist who shouted at victim's unconscious body
- Bus stop wars as restaurant owners vow to fight new Sutton bus shelter
- Sutton's Community Safety Day for Older People heralded as a success
- Traders in Cloud 9 at launch of new website of Sutton and Carshalton shops