Pedestrians were shocked to see the macabre sight of two dead foxes laid out among flowers on a North Cheam pavement.
Teenager Helen Stephens, who is taking part in the Sutton Guardian's Young Reporter scheme, spotted the grisly scene opposite St Anthony's hospital in London Road.
She said there was no indication of how the animals came to be there.
Helen, 14, said: "I was really shocked when I saw it.
"My immediate reaction was to wonder why someone would do something like that.
"I wondered if someone had done it out of respect or as a message to tell people to be more careful.
"It looks like the flowers had been left there purposefully, it can't just have been by chance."
- Tributes ahead of funeral of Wallington cricketer shot dead in Caribbean
- Leader of Sutton Council apologises for sending mock eviction notices to thousands of people
- Man to appear in court charged with exposing himself and racially abusing a police officer
- Superheroes heading to Sutton for inclusive theatre show
- Jeremy Hunt offers pause on junior doctors contract imposition