Pedestrians were shocked to see the macabre sight of two dead foxes laid out among flowers on a North Cheam pavement.
Teenager Helen Stephens, who is taking part in the Sutton Guardian's Young Reporter scheme, spotted the grisly scene opposite St Anthony's hospital in London Road.
She said there was no indication of how the animals came to be there.
Helen, 14, said: "I was really shocked when I saw it.
"My immediate reaction was to wonder why someone would do something like that.
"I wondered if someone had done it out of respect or as a message to tell people to be more careful.
"It looks like the flowers had been left there purposefully, it can't just have been by chance."
- BBC Teen Award for Sutton teenager
- Man pistol-whipped and tied up in late night break-in
- Car blaze causes heavy traffic in Morden and St Helier
- Hurricane Gonzalo not expected to devastate south London and Surrey
- 'Mum, my feet are on fire!' Car bought yesterday bursts into flames on morning school run