Pedestrians were shocked to see the macabre sight of two dead foxes laid out among flowers on a North Cheam pavement.
Teenager Helen Stephens, who is taking part in the Sutton Guardian's Young Reporter scheme, spotted the grisly scene opposite St Anthony's hospital in London Road.
She said there was no indication of how the animals came to be there.
Helen, 14, said: "I was really shocked when I saw it.
"My immediate reaction was to wonder why someone would do something like that.
"I wondered if someone had done it out of respect or as a message to tell people to be more careful.
"It looks like the flowers had been left there purposefully, it can't just have been by chance."
- Disgraced former councillor 'deeply sorry' for draining cash from local charity with forged cheques
- Driver who crashed into West Sutton house suffered epileptic seizure
- Interview: Ridley Scott’s son Luke prepares to hit the big time with directorial debut Morgan
- Police appeal to find missing woman from Wallington
- New scheme to give London prisoners free books inspired by borrowed copy of Catcher in the Rye