Sutton asbestos death widow appeals to his former colleagues for answers
The wife of an illustrator who died froom asbestos-related cancer has appealed for his former colleagues to come forward with information about his working conditions.
Sutton man Terry McCarthy died, aged 69, from mesothelioma - a type of cancer that attacks the lungs and is associated with asbestos exposure - in December last year after 10 months of battling the symptoms.
Now his grieving widow Linda is trying to find out how he was exposed to the carcinogenic material and is appealing to his former co-workers to come forward with information.
She is seeking to secure coompensation from whomever is responsible for his exposure.
Mr McCarthy wokred as a technical artist for technology company Philipsm where his job involved taking home appliances back to his office to draw illustrations of the parts.
Before his death he told his wife the Philips factory, a centre known as "No 10 Building' based in a former hangar at the old Croydon Airport site in Wallington, was notorious for asbestos dust.
Mrs McCarthy, 66, said: "When we were told Terry’s diagnosis we were absolutely devastated and couldn’t believe he was facing an incurable cancer through no fault of his own.
"He had chemotherapy but it made him feel worse and by October last year he rapidly went downhill, it was very difficult to watch and know nothing could be done.
"Terry had retired from Philips in 2003 and we hoped for a long and happy retirement together.
"I am appealing to anyone who worked at Philips within the No 10 Building, or anyone who worked alongside Terry, to get in touch as any information they have, no matter how small, could prove vital in gaining justice for his death."
Mrs McCarthy has instructed experts at legal firm Irwin Mitchell to investigate where and how he was exposed.
The firm's partner, Helen Ashton, said: "We are very keen to speak with any of Mr McCarthy’s former colleagues at Philips who may be able to provide vital information about the presence of asbestos within the factory and the working conditions employees faced.
"Companies have been well aware of the dangers of exposing staff to asbestos since as far back as the 1950s and 60s so there is no excuse for workers not to have been warned or protected."
Contact Ms Aston on 0870 1500 100.
- Missing 60-year-old Dr returns home safe and well
- 'Epsom should merge with a London borough like Sutton', says councillor
- North Cheam and Worcester Park benefit from £2.4m facelift
- Family remember teenager who died in Marchioness Thames tragedy 25 years on
- Leading ear doctor accused of multiple sexual offences appears in court
Comments are closed on this article.