Freerunners put themselves through their paces in sky-high acrobatics across Sutton rooftoops

The freerunner's have a different way of looking at Sutton

The freerunner's have a different way of looking at Sutton

First published in News
Last updated
Sutton Guardian: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

his video shows freerunners using Sutton as their playground, flipping the town on its head with their unique way of getting around.

The sport is also referred to as Parkour and involves pacing through urban areas by running, climbing, and vaulting over obstacles.

Sutton is viewed as one of the best London boroughs for freerunning, with the concrete sprawl around the civic offices regarded as one of the top places to train.

Neil Leighton, 29, from Wimbledon, and Kuba Satola, 20, Joe Slade, 21, and Lawrence Rook, 18, all from Sutton,  have been freerunning together in one form or another for about six years.

The friends are part of the wider London group United3Run, and put hours of practice into honing their skills.

Mr Leighton, who has been freerunning three years, said: "The sport is also dangerous if you do not know what you are doing.

"A lot of people do not realise how much training we actually put in.

Sutton Guardian:

The freerunners scale some of the tallest of buildings in the borough

"Parkour is the best feeling ever, when we are up on rooftops no one can bother on us, we can just look out over Sutton and feel completely free."

The group going freerunning nearly every day, and practice by Sutton church, down the high street, and at various disused buildings in the borough.

Sutton Guardian:

Neil Leighton takes a leap of faith

Sutton Guardian:

Hanging out in Sutton

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:01pm Wed 30 Jul 14

Noddyblanket says...

I imagine it feels amazing.... But not for their mothers lol. I'd be worried sick!
I imagine it feels amazing.... But not for their mothers lol. I'd be worried sick! Noddyblanket
  • Score: 7

6:06pm Wed 30 Jul 14

andrewss says...

Why are we promoting this? Hanging off the side of building and climbing cranes when trespassing is not a good example and wastes lots of emergency services time!
Why are we promoting this? Hanging off the side of building and climbing cranes when trespassing is not a good example and wastes lots of emergency services time! andrewss
  • Score: 3

9:19am Thu 31 Jul 14

dontthinkjustoit says...

Here is a link to the original video with the music, which the video was edited to...

https://www.youtube.
com/watch?v=0eJtCGMP
5mA
Here is a link to the original video with the music, which the video was edited to... https://www.youtube. com/watch?v=0eJtCGMP 5mA dontthinkjustoit
  • Score: 1

11:43am Thu 31 Jul 14

Alex_Bradford says...

andrewss wrote:
Why are we promoting this? Hanging off the side of building and climbing cranes when trespassing is not a good example and wastes lots of emergency services time!
I'm predicting a report a of a teenager's horrific fall from a multi-storey building in Sutton, soon to appear on this website. Possibly a local lawyer can predict the follow-up story, after that one?
[quote][p][bold]andrewss[/bold] wrote: Why are we promoting this? Hanging off the side of building and climbing cranes when trespassing is not a good example and wastes lots of emergency services time![/p][/quote]I'm predicting a report a of a teenager's horrific fall from a multi-storey building in Sutton, soon to appear on this website. Possibly a local lawyer can predict the follow-up story, after that one? Alex_Bradford
  • Score: -4

12:46pm Thu 31 Jul 14

gyenming says...

Alex_Bradford wrote:
andrewss wrote:
Why are we promoting this? Hanging off the side of building and climbing cranes when trespassing is not a good example and wastes lots of emergency services time!
I'm predicting a report a of a teenager's horrific fall from a multi-storey building in Sutton, soon to appear on this website. Possibly a local lawyer can predict the follow-up story, after that one?
Gotta love the ignorance being shown in the comments here. It only wastes police time when people like you call them up. Most groups in England have great relationships with the local police, and the police generally don't bother us unless they've had complaints from similarly ignorant people.

Injury rates in parkour are far, far lower than any team sport. Over the past six years of training and coaching I've seen fewer accidents than in any one game of rugby or football.

The funny thing is, is when you talk from a point of ignorance on something you know nothing about, you're going to sound really stupid. It's just a good thing that most police forces take the time to listen to people who actually know what they're doing.
[quote][p][bold]Alex_Bradford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]andrewss[/bold] wrote: Why are we promoting this? Hanging off the side of building and climbing cranes when trespassing is not a good example and wastes lots of emergency services time![/p][/quote]I'm predicting a report a of a teenager's horrific fall from a multi-storey building in Sutton, soon to appear on this website. Possibly a local lawyer can predict the follow-up story, after that one?[/p][/quote]Gotta love the ignorance being shown in the comments here. It only wastes police time when people like you call them up. Most groups in England have great relationships with the local police, and the police generally don't bother us unless they've had complaints from similarly ignorant people. Injury rates in parkour are far, far lower than any team sport. Over the past six years of training and coaching I've seen fewer accidents than in any one game of rugby or football. The funny thing is, is when you talk from a point of ignorance on something you know nothing about, you're going to sound really stupid. It's just a good thing that most police forces take the time to listen to people who actually know what they're doing. gyenming
  • Score: 2

2:05pm Thu 31 Jul 14

adrianshort says...

Good clean fun. SM3 is the new District 13.
Good clean fun. SM3 is the new District 13. adrianshort
  • Score: 0

12:36am Fri 1 Aug 14

Noddyblanket says...

gyenming wrote:
Alex_Bradford wrote:
andrewss wrote:
Why are we promoting this? Hanging off the side of building and climbing cranes when trespassing is not a good example and wastes lots of emergency services time!
I'm predicting a report a of a teenager's horrific fall from a multi-storey building in Sutton, soon to appear on this website. Possibly a local lawyer can predict the follow-up story, after that one?
Gotta love the ignorance being shown in the comments here. It only wastes police time when people like you call them up. Most groups in England have great relationships with the local police, and the police generally don't bother us unless they've had complaints from similarly ignorant people.

Injury rates in parkour are far, far lower than any team sport. Over the past six years of training and coaching I've seen fewer accidents than in any one game of rugby or football.

The funny thing is, is when you talk from a point of ignorance on something you know nothing about, you're going to sound really stupid. It's just a good thing that most police forces take the time to listen to people who actually know what they're doing.
True, there is a lot worse going on. I'd love to be able to do it!
[quote][p][bold]gyenming[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alex_Bradford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]andrewss[/bold] wrote: Why are we promoting this? Hanging off the side of building and climbing cranes when trespassing is not a good example and wastes lots of emergency services time![/p][/quote]I'm predicting a report a of a teenager's horrific fall from a multi-storey building in Sutton, soon to appear on this website. Possibly a local lawyer can predict the follow-up story, after that one?[/p][/quote]Gotta love the ignorance being shown in the comments here. It only wastes police time when people like you call them up. Most groups in England have great relationships with the local police, and the police generally don't bother us unless they've had complaints from similarly ignorant people. Injury rates in parkour are far, far lower than any team sport. Over the past six years of training and coaching I've seen fewer accidents than in any one game of rugby or football. The funny thing is, is when you talk from a point of ignorance on something you know nothing about, you're going to sound really stupid. It's just a good thing that most police forces take the time to listen to people who actually know what they're doing.[/p][/quote]True, there is a lot worse going on. I'd love to be able to do it! Noddyblanket
  • Score: 3

10:47am Fri 1 Aug 14

Alex_Bradford says...

gyenming wrote:
Alex_Bradford wrote:
andrewss wrote:
Why are we promoting this? Hanging off the side of building and climbing cranes when trespassing is not a good example and wastes lots of emergency services time!
I'm predicting a report a of a teenager's horrific fall from a multi-storey building in Sutton, soon to appear on this website. Possibly a local lawyer can predict the follow-up story, after that one?
Gotta love the ignorance being shown in the comments here. It only wastes police time when people like you call them up. Most groups in England have great relationships with the local police, and the police generally don't bother us unless they've had complaints from similarly ignorant people.

Injury rates in parkour are far, far lower than any team sport. Over the past six years of training and coaching I've seen fewer accidents than in any one game of rugby or football.

The funny thing is, is when you talk from a point of ignorance on something you know nothing about, you're going to sound really stupid. It's just a good thing that most police forces take the time to listen to people who actually know what they're doing.
It seems we have someone here who hangs off buildings, who encourages others to imitate and who claims that others that are dismissive of such behaviour are talking from "point of ignorance". I'm sure the irony won't be missed by readers!

Since they claim their activities have such a fine safety record over 6 years, I'm sure readers will be very interested to know how they undertake professional safety assessments, before undertaking their antics and before encouraging someone else's kids to follow...

So how do they go about undertaking professional assessments of other people's buildings for weaknesses, safety issues and hidden dangers, and with the owner's permission? Who does the assessing and how are they accredited? How often do these professional assessors undertake detailed safety checks? How do they go about obtaining insurance against injury and death for those they are encouraging to hang off buildings? If they are failing to undertake any of these, they are certainly "going to sound really stupid".
[quote][p][bold]gyenming[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alex_Bradford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]andrewss[/bold] wrote: Why are we promoting this? Hanging off the side of building and climbing cranes when trespassing is not a good example and wastes lots of emergency services time![/p][/quote]I'm predicting a report a of a teenager's horrific fall from a multi-storey building in Sutton, soon to appear on this website. Possibly a local lawyer can predict the follow-up story, after that one?[/p][/quote]Gotta love the ignorance being shown in the comments here. It only wastes police time when people like you call them up. Most groups in England have great relationships with the local police, and the police generally don't bother us unless they've had complaints from similarly ignorant people. Injury rates in parkour are far, far lower than any team sport. Over the past six years of training and coaching I've seen fewer accidents than in any one game of rugby or football. The funny thing is, is when you talk from a point of ignorance on something you know nothing about, you're going to sound really stupid. It's just a good thing that most police forces take the time to listen to people who actually know what they're doing.[/p][/quote]It seems we have someone here who hangs off buildings, who encourages others to imitate and who claims that others that are dismissive of such behaviour are talking from "point of ignorance". I'm sure the irony won't be missed by readers! Since they claim their activities have such a fine safety record over 6 years, I'm sure readers will be very interested to know how they undertake professional safety assessments, before undertaking their antics and before encouraging someone else's kids to follow... So how do they go about undertaking professional assessments of other people's buildings for weaknesses, safety issues and hidden dangers, and with the owner's permission? Who does the assessing and how are they accredited? How often do these professional assessors undertake detailed safety checks? How do they go about obtaining insurance against injury and death for those they are encouraging to hang off buildings? If they are failing to undertake any of these, they are certainly "going to sound really stupid". Alex_Bradford
  • Score: 1

7:03pm Fri 1 Aug 14

andrewss says...

We are not ignorant. As highlighted above I doubt you conduct any risk assessments or have insurance to cover but hey..that is your thrill. I don't want to be scooping you off the pavement! Or other witnesses that may see you fall one day. Unfortunately the police would be criticised if they just ignored your blatant disregard of safety and you fell!
We are not ignorant. As highlighted above I doubt you conduct any risk assessments or have insurance to cover but hey..that is your thrill. I don't want to be scooping you off the pavement! Or other witnesses that may see you fall one day. Unfortunately the police would be criticised if they just ignored your blatant disregard of safety and you fell! andrewss
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree