Police cordoned off a road to protect the public from hazardous gases after a man was found dead in his flat on Tuesday.

Officers were called shortly before 3pm, after someone living in the street raised concerns for the man’s welfare.

They entered the flat in Eleonara Terrace off Lind Road, Sutton, to find a 43-year-old man dead inside.

It is understood he died of carbon monoxide poisoning from a barbecue.

Enquiries are ongoing and the death is not being treated as suspicious.

Four fire engines, one command unit, and a single ambulance attended the scene just after 5pm.

Fire fighters roped off the surrounding area of the flats with yellow tape warning of hazardous gases.

Sutton Guardian:

There was a heavy presence of emergency services at the scene

Georgina Bull, from The Nightingale Pub, which sits on the corner of Lind Road and Carshalton Road, said: "We think it might be a carbon monoxide leak in a flat."

A spokesperson from the London Fire Brigade said: "We were called to assist police with a chemical incident at 5.06pm. 

"We used detection equipment to make sure readings were not high and there was no risk to other people in the area. 

"We failed to find elevated readings and once the area was secured, left the scene at just before 7pm."

Did you know the man, would you like to pay tribute? Email tom.gillespie@london.newsquest.co.uk or call 020 8722 6358