A man has died after reportedly shooting himself in front of police in Wallington.

Officers were called to reports of a man with a firearm threatening to harm himself and others at a residential address Melbourne Road at about 8pm last night, a Metropolitan Police spokesman said.

They arrived to find the man in nearby Bridge Road where he fired the gun, injuring himself.

The man, believed to be in his 50s, was given first aid by officers before paramedics arrived.

He was taken to hospital but died just after 6am this morning.

Not all next of kin have been informed. A post-mortem and formal identification is yet to take place.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission has opened an investigation into the man's death.

One witness on social media said police had repeatedly implored the armed man to "put it down, we don't want to hurt you".

Another reported seeing officers armed with "machine guns" surrounding a house. 

No shots were fired by officers despite reports on social media, the spokesman said, but a taser and baton rounds were used.

A staff member at The Melbourne pub, on the corner of Manor Road and Melbourne Road, said police had warned not to let customers out of the side door onto Manor Road during last night's incident.

Phil, who did not give his surname, said: "They blocked off Manor Road off the side of the pub, but whatever it was was happening way, way down the road. But we don't know what it was.

"The police didn't communicate anything to us, apart from to not let people use the side door."

The Directorate of Professional Standards, the body that investigates when death has resulted following contact with the police, has been told about the incident.

Sutton Guardian:

The corner of Melbourne Road and Bridge Road in Wallington

A staff member at nearby TFX International Food Centre said there were still a number of police officers in the area at midday today.

There are continued road closures around Melbourne Road while officers investigate last night's incident, the Met spokesman said.

An IPCC spokesman said: "The IPCC is investigating an incident attended by police in Wallington yesterday evening (Saturday) following which a man has died in hospital.

"Armed police attended Melbourne Road in Wallington on Saturday evening following reports that a man was in possession of a firearm.

"Later police encountered the man in Bridge Road. The man discharged a weapon seriously injuring himself. During the incident a police officer deployed a Taser and two other officers fired baton rounds.

"The man was taken by ambulance to hospital where he died later this morning (Sunday).

"After being notified by the MPS, IPCC investigators were deployed straight away to attend the scene and also post-incident procedures. Initial accounts from officers involved have been provided and IPCC investigators have viewed some body worn video footage. 

"Investigators have overseen forensic examinations at the scene and are conducting house to house enquiries today. A non-police issue firearm was recovered from the scene.

"The man's next of kin are being contacted."

Did you see what happened? Call the newsdesk on 020 8722 6388 or email daniel.omahony@newsquest.co.uk