A Sutton man who stabbed and stole from a victim amid a series of violent robberies using stolen mopeds across south London has been jailed.

Mikelle Alexander, 21, of Brighton Road, attacked the man in his 50s during the incident in Majestic Way, Mitcham, on November 19 last year.

He approached him on a moped and tried to grab his bag – containing a bible – and while the man held onto it, Alexander turned around and knocked him down.

The victim was then punched and kicked before being stabbed with a knife, with the bag eventually being stolen.

Sutton Guardian:

Mikelle Alexander. Photo: Metropolitan Police

This was one of several crimes which occurred between September and December last year – in Croydon, Hammersmith and Fulham, Kingston, Lambeth, Merton, and Sutton.

He was jailed alongside Karim Hussain, 20, of Rose Glen in Romford, east London, at Croydon Crown Court on August 4 earlier this week.

The pair - who committed the crimes separately and together - also hit Kingswood Road in Bromley, as well as St John’s Road and Dennett Road in Croydon, where three women were injured.

After being pulled to the ground in the robberies, they sustained fractures and internal injuries with their belongings having been stolen.

Offences were committed using stolen mopeds, with elderly Asian people often being targeted for their jewellery according to police.

Alexander and Hussain were arrested in December before they were later charged and committed to trial in June this year.

The former was sentenced to 17 years in prison for 22 offences – including robbery, attempted robbery, theft, and theft of a motor vehicle.

Meanwhile, the latter got 15 years for 11 offences – which involved robbery, theft of a motor vehicle, and fraud by false representation.

Sutton Guardian:

Karim Hussain. Photo: Metropolitan Police

They were jailed at Croydon Crown Court after being found guilty on June 29 at the same court during a 19-day trial.

Detective Inspector Steven Brownlee, from the Met’s Operation Venice investigation team, said: “This was a protracted and robust investigation which has seen two more prolific offenders convicted of a series of violent crimes. I would like to thank the members of the public who came forward.

“I hope these lengthy sentences offer some measure of comfort for the victims involved and act as a warning to others that if you commit these offences you will be identified and arrested.”

Barrister Nicholas Cooper, prosecuting on behalf of the Crown, said: “These offenders attacked vulnerable people - often women – and left their victims afraid to be in the neighbourhoods they had lived in for years.

“They hunted people down and made a sport of it.”

“This dedicated police work excelled and the jury’s findings of guilt reflect that. All these officers worked tirelessly and the resulting convictions are thanks to that invaluable commitment.”