Firefighters rescue Carshalton cat from flat fire
A cat suffered from smoke inhalation after being caught in a fire this afternoon.
The young tabby was seen in distress in the front window of a flat in Denmark Gardens, Carshalton.
Fire crews had to break the glass to get the cat out as its owners were not home.
The cat was taken to the vets by members of the public.
It appears that the fire broke out in the kitchen after a pan full of mince was left cooking on the hob.
The fire spread to a stack of paper next to the cooker and set the cupboards alight. When the crews arrived the flat was full of smoke.
Watch Manager Alan Archbold, said: “We were able to break in through a window and save the cat, which appeared to be suffering from smoke inhalation.
“It seems the occupiers of the flat had gone out, forgetting that the mince was still cooking on the stove. It is so important to remember to check the kitchen before leaving your home.
“This is the second fire caused by people forgetting about their cooking in London today. It’s also important to keep paperwork away from the hob, as it is very flammable.”
The fire was contained by a team of around 15 firefighters from Mitcham, Norbury, and Sutton fire stations. Three fire engines were at the scene.
The fire brigade were called just after 1pm and the fire was brought under control in half an hour.
Do you have more information? Contact Sophia Sleigh at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0208 722 6358.