Have-a-go hero extinguishes kitchen fire in Mill Lane, Carshalton
A man who was wearing just shorts and a vest top managed to put out chip pan fire in a Carshalton flat.
David Woodvine, 39, from Rosehill was visiting the flats in Mill Lane, Carshalton on Friday, September 7.
At about 7.30pm a fire broke out in a neighbouring flat to the one Mr Woodvine was visiting.
A chip pan had been left on while the family were distracted with their young baby.
A 13-year-old, Lewis Millard, raised the alarm and helped make sure everybody get out of the block.
Mr Woodvine took quick action, he used a damp cloth to put out the fire and a damp mop to put out the burning oil.
Crew Manager, Dave Coleman, from Wallington Fire Station said: “We were called at about 7.30pm to reports of a fire in a house – it turned out to be a fire in a flat.
“[The family] were distracted with their young baby. They have had a smoke alarm but it wasn’t working at the time – you want to check your smoke alarms are working.
“It would have been a lot worse if it wasn’t for this one man.
“He heard all the commotion and turned all the power off on the cooker – he put himself at risk and smothered the flames.
“When we got there the fire was out thanks to this man. He was treated on the scene with little bit of oxygen.
“We don’t advise people to go into buildings and give it a go.
“No-one was hurt – we did advise them to go to hospital as a precaution.”
He said the incident shows the dangers of leaving a chip pan unattended.
He advised that when a fire breaks out you must isolate it, turn off the power if you can, evacuate and call the fire brigade.
Do you know more? Call the newsdesk on 0208 722 6358 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.