Two wonder strikes from Kev Terry and a delightful flick from Vernon Francis were enough to present Leatherhead with all three points from a 3-2 win at Hythe Town.

The Tuesday night win lifts the Tanners to seventh in the Ryman League Division One South table.

Tanners boss Richard Brady gave a debut to Gareth Williams in goal and the former Walton Casuals keeper made some key saves in a match filled with twists and turns.

Leatherhead made the best possible start, taking the lead after five minutes with a fine solo effort from Terry.

The attacking midfielder collected the ball on the half way line before advancing unchallenged to the edge of the host's penalty area and hitting a powerful shot which bounced just in front of the goalkeeper Dean Ruddy on its way to the back of the net.

Second-placed Hythe pushed forward and Williams had to keep sharp, saving long range efforts from Jake Hobbs and Ronnie Dolan.

Tanners were denied a strong penalty appeal after 39 minutes when Tom Bradbrook appeared to be pushed down in the middle of the box right in front of the referee.

If the visitors’ thought the decision was harsh, that was nothing compared with how they must have felt when Hythe were awarded a penalty after 58 minutes.

The hosts had been given a free kick 10 yards outside the Leatherhead penalty area.

Tanners formed a wall along the 18-yard line and as the ball came in it hit a defender’s arm.

The referee showed no hesitation in pointing to the spot and Hythe captain Dave Cook duly dispatched the penalty. 

Tanners were only pegged back for a short time before restoring their lead after 67 minutes.

A corner was floated into the box from the right, nodded on by Bradbrook and turned over the goal line by Francis at the near post.

Hythe were not beaten yet though and drew level for a second time when Brendon Cass headed home after 79 minutes.

Any thoughts of a possible late Hythe winner were short-lived, however, as Terry served up the best goal of the night with a stunning volley for Leatherhead after 82 minutes.

Bradbrook won the ball on the edge of the penalty area and fed it through to Elliott Thompson on his right.

Thompson played it back into the path of the advancing Terry who thumped a stupendous volley past Ruddy.  

The Tanners now turn their attention to the visit of Bath City in the FA Trophy on Saturday.