Sutton & Epsom are four points clear at the top of London Division Two South West thanks to a hard-fought 29-16 win over Teddington.

As Sutton are well aware by now there are no easy games in this division and so it proved on Saturday. 

Teddington, with their large and very slick backs, time and again tore holes in Sutton’s first line of defence but fortunately Sutton’s last ditch tackling held good and Teddington’s over enthusiasm time and again led to them giving away penalties.

Sutton still do not seem to play for a full 80 minutes but when they do they are clinical.

Lock James Caddy and number eight Shawn Renwick were Sutton’s men of the match getting to the break down second on almost all occasions and either robbing the ball or causing the grounded Teddington player to hold on and give away the penalty. 

With second row Mike Blakeburn back in the side Sutton had the advantage of a five-man back row.

Teddington set off at 100mph and within two minutes took the lead with a penalty from fly half Alex Newberry. 

This served as a wake up call to Sutton who piled on the pressure and from a play out on the right touch line they sped the ball through the hands of nearly the entire team for nippy winger Charlie Purvis to get the try wide on the left. 

Scrum half Frankie Murray converted superbly to give Sutton a lead they were never to lose.

Within five minutes, Sutton stretched their lead when the pack drove in from five metres, Renwick getting the touch down - again Murray converted.

It was Teddington who scored next with two Sutton players down injured they made use of the overlap for speedy and slippery wing Will sharp to slip round the outside to score - the conversion attempt went just wide.

Sutton were forced to make re-arrangements in their back line after this and before they could settle, in went Sharp for his second try which also went unconverted.

Sutton then switched back on they won good lineout ball seven metres out, the pack drove on and speedy flanker Joe Ridgley broke off to score - the conversion attempt went just astray.

There were two further scores before half time first following a five metres line-out Renwick crashed in for his second and the all important bonus point try and then with seconds to go in the half Teddington’s lock Glenn Boyling kicked a penalty for the visitors.

Sutton started the second half pounding downfield through their pack and then the Teddington defence having been sucked in they suddenly spread the ball wide to right wing Mike Cartledge who showed the defence a clean pair of heals to score in the corner. 

After this play became a little flat and bogged down in midfield and there was no further score.

This Saturday could well prove to be the most important game of Sutton’s season when they go away to third-placed Old Reigation (kick off 2.15pm).