Sutton United’s chairman has taken aim at media coverage of the club following their strong FA Cup showing against Arsenal at Gander Green Lane, last week.
Bruce Elliott said the U’s had been ‘unfairly treated’ by news outlets after former player Wayne Shaw’s resignation cast a shadow over the club’s performance on Monday, February 20. He would, however, not single out particular news organisations or articles.
It was the first time the Yellow’s reached the fifth-round of the FA Cup and was arguably the most prominent competitive match-up in the club’s history.
But the dream occasion quickly became a ‘nightmare’ according to the club’s chairman after the former reserve goal keeper was filmed eating a pie during Sutton United’s 2-0 defeat.
Mr Shaw said he was aware sponsors SunBets promoted an 8/1 offer on the 23-stone stopper eating the savoury snack during the game. He is now under investigation by the Gambling Commission.
U’s chairman Bruce Elliott took aim at media coverage of the following the biggest match in the club’s history.
Bruce Elliott said: “It was a bit of a nightmare. I think a lot of it was unjustified, people made assumptions which you should not always make and that was done deliberately.
“We have not seen a very nice side to football and the press, from a story point of view, do not ask for clarification.
"If I had the chance to clarify with them, then the story would not be a story. That’s the sad thing, things have been said and ignored the truth.
“I’m not answering many calls these days, I can’t stomach it (what’s been written) because it’s not true.”
He added: “We’ve moved on since then though. We are focusing on not being relegated from the National League and have two big games coming up this week”
Sutton United's next match is against Boreham Wood and will be played at Gander Green Lane at 7.45pm on Tuesday, February 28.