Freedman outlines his Palace transfer plans
Crystal Palace manager Dougie Freedman has outlined his plans for the summer - and admits there will be outgoings as well as incomings.
The Eagles ended their Championship campaign in 17th place after losing 2-1 to Cardiff City at Selhurst Park on Saturday.
And Freedman now wants to strengthen the squad to push Palace toward the next level - with centre-back cover for Paddy McCarthy and a goalscorer likely to top his list.
"There are key positions we have been missing throughout the season and I know that and understand what I have to do over the summer in the transfer market," he said.
"If I can add to those vital positions then I have every confidence we can be a lot better than we have position-wise this season.
"When I get back from a holiday I will sit down and reflect what went wrong and what went right.
"There is no secret we have had a lot of injuries and that has given me an opportunity to play a few players and there are also players I have played I have been unhappy with so I understand I have got to get rid of a few players, it is not all good news.
"There are one or two that have performed very well and one or two have let themselves down.
"My priority is to change the squad in terms of what can go out and to see what can come in.
"It is not easy when you are dealing in a very competitive market where people have more money than you.
"Last year, through free transfers in Glenn Murray, Mile Jedinak and Anthony Gardner and the signing of Jonathan Parr we did very well.
"If we can go out there again and recruit the same type then we will go to the next level."
One player constantly linked with a move away from Palace is Wilfried Zaha - who ended the season on nine goals having scored against Cardiff.
Zaha, who started the game up front with Glenn Murray, also scored against the Reading the week before but Freedman is adamant the teenager will only leave SE25 when he decides.
"I am confident he will still be here next season because I will make that decision," he added.
"He is a young kid and he looks up to me for whatever reasons every day and I guide him and I think the guiding so far has been OK.
"I told the experts at the beginning of the season why Wilfried was not playing up front and the reason is because he needs to gain experience out wide.
"Now he is gaining experience out wide he is starting to show what a wonderful young player he is up front.
"Wilfried's development at this club is still growing and I believe, when the time is right, I will let him go.
"He has a five-year contract here and within that five years I will make a decision.
"If a club comes in for him I think can enhance his development then off he goes, if I feel a club comes in and offers us a ridiculous amount of money that will benefit the club and benefit the team then I will let him go. "But until that time I cannot make that decision."
Comments are closed on this article.